My Take: I personally enjoyed this book. It made me smile and it made me cry. If you're looking for a good chick flick type novel, then this is for you!
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Cases rarely come much colder than the decades-old disappearance of teen heiress Harriet Vanger from her family's remote island retreat north of Stockholm, nor do fiction debuts hotter than this European bestseller by muckraking Swedish journalist Larsson. At once a strikingly original thriller and a vivisection of Sweden's dirty not-so-little secrets (as suggested by its original title, Men Who Hate Women), this first of a trilogy introduces a provocatively odd couple: disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist, freshly sentenced to jail for libeling a shady businessman, and the multipierced and tattooed Lisbeth Salander, a feral but vulnerable superhacker. Hired by octogenarian industrialist Henrik Vanger, who wants to find out what happened to his beloved great-niece before he dies, the duo gradually uncover a festering morass of familial corruption—at the same time, Larsson skillfully bares some of the similar horrors that have left Salander such a marked woman. Larsson died in 2004, shortly after handing in the manuscripts for what will be his legacy. 100,000 first printing. (Sept.)
My Take: I'd heard a lot of ranting and raving about this series, but I actually didn't know what the book was about before I started reading it. The book took me awhile to get into, but once I did, I was hooked. This is a thrilling tale that has romance, murder, finance and mystery all rolled into one. I think this book can appeal to a wide-range of readers. I know you're surprised that I just started reading the second in this series...
Amazon.com Review
James Patterson and Peter de Jonge's The Beach House opens with the death of a handsome townie on Memorial Day weekend in the Hamptons, where being a single-digit millionaire is laughable and being poor is unthinkable. Peter Mullen is a high school dropout who parks cars at the private bashes of the superwealthy Barry and Campion Neubauer. When Peter is found dead on the beach, the Neubauers and their friends insist that he drowned, but his brother Jack, a law student who saw Peter's body, knows he was beaten to death. As Jack uncovers evidence of his brother's secret life, he begins to realize that the very rich are indeed different from the rest of us. Revenge is a dish best served cold, and Jack's patiently plotted payback for Peter's death is one that the Hamptons will not soon forget.
My Take: I'd only read Patterson's lighter novels up until this point (Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, Sunday's at Tiffanys, etc.), so I was surprised to find out this was his typical line of work. I can't say I was disappointed either. This book captured my interest from the very beginning, and once again is the type of novel that has a little bit of something for everyone. I will be reading more of Patteron's "serious" work in the future.
What good books have you read lately? I'm always looking for new titles and authors to get into, so let me know what's on your summer reading list or must-read list.
14 Sweet Notes:
Hi Delaney - I am lol-ing about your addiction because that' mine too - I love reading - I buy bunches of books at a time and read several books at the same time depending on my mood.
I'll read one put it down and then a few days later pick up another cuz that's the mood I'm in then a few days later go back to the other one, etc. Have read Jane Green's Dune Road - it was great!
Am reading Low Country and Ten Beach Road right now ....
Happy Reading!
Linda
I have bought two different books lately and I still can't seem to find time to read them. I think I'm going to have to start scheduling time during my evenings for just reading because I MISS IT!!! Thanks for the book suggestions!
Hi I am Jackie and I love to read. I found you from Blogaholic networkds.
Thank you so much for stopping in at my blog and entering the Blog Bash 2011 Giveaways! Good Luck to you. I'm also following your adorable blog.
Love the book reviews. I recommend Friendship Bread by Darien Gee as a summer read, too! She has a kindle giveaway going on her website, too.
Have a super weekend.
xoxo SusieQTpies
@SusieQTpies
Thanks for the recommendation!
@Beachside Cottage
Thanks for the recommendations! Dune Road was very good!
I read "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", it was hard for me to put it down.
Hello! New follower here. Thanks for the review. My husband is a fan of James Patterson so I will get this book for him.
I subscribed to your blog via email and GFC from the Sunday Hop!
The Steady Hand
http://thesteadyhandblog.com/
Thanks for the tips. I always try to read something during the summer (I have summers off). I've only picked up to-do books from the library. Now, I'll be picking up something else.
I'm now following.
Thanks for stopping by Saturday Suggestions.
~ Mona : )
More Milestones
Promise To Keep sounds interesting. Thanks for the book review.
New follower from the book lovers blog hop.
http://grandmabonniescloset.blogspot.com/
i love jane green! jemima j was the first book i read of hers, and i loved it. the best book i read recently was called room. it's definitely a heavier book, not what i'd call a light read like jane green, just to prepare you.
I'm reading a great book at the moment called Left Neglected by Lisa Genova. I definitely recommend it.
Promises to Keep looks like a great beach read (as long as I remember my sunglasses to cover the tears). Thanks for the recommendation!
Hopping over from the Book Lovers Blog Hop!
http://cookiesbookclub.blogspot.com
Post a Comment
I heart comments & I heart you! ♥
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.