500 Follower Giveaway Day #1

8.11.2011


Today my lovely blog friends marks the first day in four days of giveaways to celebrate Sweet Tea Serendipity's 500 followers!  Today's giveaway was generously donated by Paula at Real Housewife of Singapore.  She has a great post for y'all & a chance to win some goodies at the end!

Howdy! I am Paula the Real Housewife of Singapore. I am thrilled to be guest posting today!

house·wife
noun /ˈhousˌwīf/ 
housewives, plural
"A married woman whose main occupation is caring for her family, managing household affairs, and doing housework. "

That's me! I am married, I stay home to raise children, cook, clean, and the like. Once upon a time this was all that was required, AND expected of a woman. The man went out and worked, while the little woman stayed home. It all seemed happy on the surface according to shows like Father Knows Best. However, my house is a bit more...King of Queens -ish...

Below are the rules on how to be the perfect housewife, according to an article published in 1955.

1. Have dinner ready: Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal on time.


This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him, and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospects of a good meal are part of the warm welcome needed.

2. Prepare yourself: Take 15 minutes to rest so you will be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work- weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting. His boring day may need a lift.

3. Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives, gathering up school books, toys, paper, etc. Then run a dust cloth over the tables. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift, too.

4. Prepare the children: Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces if they are small, comb their hair, and if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

5. Minimize the noise: At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of washer, dryer, dishwasher or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet. Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile and be glad to see him.

6. Things to avoid: Don't greet him with problems or complaints. Don't complain if he's late for dinner. Count this as minor compared with what he might have gone through that day.

7. Make him comfortable: Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or suggest he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice. Allow him to relax and unwind.

8. Listen to him: You may have a dozen things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first.

9. Make the evening his: Never complain if he does not take you out to dinner or to other places of entertainment; instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure, his need to be home and relax.

10. The goal: Try to make your home a place of peace and order where your husband can relax.

I am not against wanting a happy clean house, and a happy (and clean?) husband...but I laugh as read those. Not because they are out of line or make the women submissive, but because they make the men sound weak, and incapable, and fragile! Apparently the men back then couldn't handle a hair outta place, or an under fluffed pillow without freaking out.

I get this image in my head of Jimmy Stewart (It's a Wonderful Life) stuttering, and stumbling around as he runs his hands through his hair in distress, while he walks around the house and sees dirty dishes, noisy kids, and his wife without lipstick!

I would love to be, but I am not nearly as organized as the housewives of yesteryear with all the dinner planning, and housekeeping... and making sure the children are picture perfect darlings for my dearly beloved...and I almost never wear a ribbon in my hair. As for dinner, I make sure to keep the groceries stocked, and a list of food delivery numbers handy!

Now whether or not you want to act like a 1950's housewife is up to you, I just want to help you look like one! So...I am going to give one lucky reader a fantastic "old fashioned" apron from After Thoughts by Jennee Thompson.


Wouldn't you just be the cutest little housewife on the block, or in your condo, or cul de sac.... um... where ever it is you call home. The polka dots scream 50's, the ruffles are oh so feminine, and it would look oh so cute paired with some black kitten heels, or "HOLY HOTNESS BATMAN" with fishnets and stilettos (hey its your kitchen!) - "to the bedroom Robin!"


Mandatory Entry: 
Follow Sweet Tea Serendipity via GFC & leave a comment stating you've done so

Extra Entries (leave a comment for each):
"Like" Sweet Tea Serendipity on Facebook 
Follow Sweet Tea on Twitter
Follow Real Housewife of Singapore via GFC

"Like" Real Housewife of Singapore on Facebook
Follow Real Housewife on Twitter
Leave a comment telling me what your favorite housewife rule from this post is

Secondary Contest!
What TV show would you compare your family to? Leave a comment with your answer and one of you will be randomly chosen to win a sleep mask from After Thoughts. (You can tell me which design you would like when you win!)

Both giveaways will end at 11:59 p.m. EST on August 21.  Open to U.S. residents only.

Be sure to enter & stop by tomorrow for another great giveaway!




94 Sweet Notes:

Lady Bren said...

They would have thrown that book at me LOL

I am your new royal follower from the Wednesday Social Buzz Hop, Hope you'll join our Royal Reality~~ honored to meet your acquaintance
Lady Bren HRH(Here Reality's Humorous)
http://theworldaccordingtobren.blogspot.com/

Grace Matthews said...

Stopping by to follow you on GFC through the Blog Hop :)


http://www.giveawayswithgrace.com

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

I am much to opinionated and feminist for me to have truly lived in the 1950's. My husband and I watched the first disc of Mad Men, and I was furious and incredulous. I totally love the style from the 50's, but not the attitude toward women. I actually thought about wrinting a blog post about the experience:)

I follow you on on GFC, thanks for joining the blog hop again this week.

Amanda Joy

lindy said...

Already a Sweet Tea GFC follower!

lindy said...

Already a Real housewife of Singapore GFC follower!

lindy said...

Rule number 7 is by far my favorite. How hilarious! If I tried to get him to lie down in a dark bedroom, my husband would probably shoo me away-but not before checking my temperature first. We definitely live in a different age.

lindy said...

Love this post btw (and the giveaway-that apron is to die for!)

I would compare my family to The Simpsons in regard to my children's behavior, and Everybody Loves Raymond when it comes to my hubby and me.

Unknown said...

Love this! Too funny! I follow Sweet Tea!!

Unknown said...

I like Sweet Tea on facebook!

Unknown said...

I follow Sweet Tea on twitter!

Unknown said...

I follow Real Housewife on twitter!

Unknown said...

#9 is my "fave" rule for sure! haha! The mister better be taking me out to dinner if he already said he was going to... haha!

Unknown said...

I would compare my family to Modern Family. We've got some craziness going on! haha! Maybe not as much as them though...

mary. sunkissedlife said...

Following you via GFC

mary. sunkissedlife said...

Liked sweet tea serendipity on facebook as MC Balisacan

mary. sunkissedlife said...

Following on twitter as @SunkissedLife

mary. sunkissedlife said...

Following Real Housewife of Singapore via GFC

mary. sunkissedlife said...

Liked Real Housewife of Singapore on FB as MC Balisacan

mary. sunkissedlife said...

Following Real Housewife of Singapore on twitter as @SunkissedLife

mary. sunkissedlife said...

Favorite rule is Number 10

Anonymous said...

new gfc follower with purse icon. please follow at http://www.simplyshopandsave.ca

Rebecccccca said...

Been following STS for awhile now on GFC - Geekslady at gmail period com

Rebecccccca said...

Liked STS on FB as Rebecca Peckham

Geekslady at gmail period com

Rebecccccca said...

Following on Twitter as RJPeckham

Geekslady at gmail period com

Rebecccccca said...

Following Housewife on GFC as Rebecccca

Geekslady at gmail period com

Rebecccccca said...

Liked Housewife on FB as Rebecca Peckham

Geekslady at gmail period com

Rebecccccca said...

Following Housewife on Twitter as RJPeckham

Geekslady at gmail period com

Rebecccccca said...

My favorite rule is #2: Freshen up.

Geekslady at gmail period com

Rebecccccca said...

I would compare my household to Who's the Boss? because my live in BF is currently unemployed and I am the one "bringing home the bacon" He spoils me too, lunch and dinner made everyday. =) He would put Tony Danza to shame.

Geekslady at gmail period com

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! I follow you ;)))

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

I like you on FB :)

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

I follow you on Twitter

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

I follow her awesome blog now!!!! YAY!

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

I like her on fb :)

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

AND follow her on Twitter now... if you couldn't tell I want this BAD ;)

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

I LOVE #2... I could totally use 15 min to myself... except I might fall asleep rather than primp ;)))

Nick Ashley Reagan Coen & Ike said...

I follow you on GFC

ashleycardon@yahoo.com

Nick Ashley Reagan Coen & Ike said...

I follow you on FB!

ashleycardon@yahoo.com

Nick Ashley Reagan Coen & Ike said...

I follow RHoS through GFC.

ashleycardon@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

I am following Sweet Tea via GFC!!
kat.brandenburgATgmail.com

Terri said...

Following on GFC, that apron is adorable and what a great guest post. I had to laugh out loud when I read those rules ha.

Crystal said...

Following you via GFC!

Crystal said...

FOllowing you on Twitter! :)

Crystal said...

I "like" you on FB! :)

polly said...

follow gfc~polly
pkeintz@gmail.com

polly said...

follow real housewife of singapore gfc~polly
pkeintz@gmail.com

polly said...

number 5 just makes me chuckle!
pkeintz@gmail.com

polly said...

i think our family is a combination of modern family/everybody loves raymond and roseanne!
pkeintz@gmail.com

Robin Quick said...

I Follow Sweet Tea Serendipity via GFC

mnrquick at yahoo dot com

Robin Quick said...

I like Sweet Tea Serendipity via FB

mnrquick at yahoo dot com

Robin Quick said...

I follow Sweet Tea via Twitter

RKQuick

mnrquick at yahoo dot com

Robin Quick said...

I Follow Real Housewife of Singapore via GFC

mnrquick at yahoo dot com

Robin Quick said...

I like Real Housewife of Singapore on Facebook

mnrquick at yahoo dot com

Robin Quick said...

I Follow Real Housewife on Twitter

RKQuick

mnrquick at yahoo dot com

Robin Quick said...

My fav rule is #8.... Its always good to listen. Let him unwind a bit and let him tell you about his day before you hit him with any drama.

mnrquick at yahoo dot com

Robin Quick said...

I would compare my family with the Forman family in That 70s Show. The banter between Red and Eric reminds me of my husband and 13 yr old son. Red gives Eric a hard time but you still know he loves him more than life itself.

RaisingGreenRichmondKids said...

I follow in GFC
Dorinda@RaisingGreenRichmondKids.com

Jamie said...

I follow you!
~JamieS

Jamie said...

I follow real housewives of singapore...

Ruth said...

Your newest gfc follower
Ruth
ruthaw_1974@yahoo.com

Ruth said...

like you on facebook
ruthhil74

Ruth said...

follow real housewife of singapore on gfc (already did)
Ruth
ruthaw_1974@yahoo.com

Ruth said...

like real housewife of singapore on facebook
ruthhill74

Ruth said...

follow real housewife of singapore on twitter
ruthhill74

Ruth said...

#10 is my favorite. I am not married, but I try to make my home a place where everyone can relax.
ruthaw_1974@yahoo.com

Ruth said...

Okay, we are a very dysfunctional family in many ways. I'm not sure that there is a TV family that parallels ours. I am a single mom, and I don't know shows where there is a single mom. I have a daughter, and I live with my parents. My dad is mentally ill and causes lots of strife. Is there even a family that represents ours? The best show would be Everybody Loves Raymond--we interact like them!
ruthaw_1974@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

gfc follower(gram122)

gram122@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

like sweet tea on FB (carole c)

gram122@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

follow sweet tea on twitter(gram122)

gram122@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

like u on FB (carole c)

gram122@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

follow u on twitter (gram122

gram122@comcast.net

Allison said...

I'm your newest GFC follower!
Allibird1 at aol dot com

Allison said...

I follow Sweet Tea Serendipity on fb (Allison Lewis.)
Allibird1 at aol dot com

Allison said...

I follow you on twitter (AMLewis2003.)
Allibird1 at aol dot com

Allison said...

I follow Real Housewife of Singapore via GFC.
Allibird1 at aol dot com

Allison said...

I follow Real Housewife on twitter (AMLewis2003.)
Allibird1 at aol dot com

Allison said...

I like rule #1...but only because it's the opposite of what I do. I usually have no idea what I'm making for dinner until an hour before meal time!
Allibird1 at aol dot com

Allison said...

My family is just Everybody Loves Raymond! We have a daughter who's almost three and twin boys who are almost 18 months. Plus, my in-laws come over A LOT!!! haha
Allibird1 at aol dot com

Kellianne said...

I follow your blog for sure! <3

Kellianne said...

and I now like you on facebook!

Kellianne said...

and I am now following on twitter!

Sarah said...

I like you on FB

Sarah said...

I follow you on Twitter @mooseandtater

Sarah said...

I follow Housewife of Singapore on GFC

Sarah said...

I like real housewife on FB

Sarah said...

I follow real housewife on Twitter @mooseandtater

Sara Mcconville said...

Following Sweet Tea Serendipity via GFC
saraanny83
saraanny83 at yahoo.com

Sara Mcconville said...

Liked Sweet Tea Serendipity on Facebook
sara mather mcconville
saraanny83 at yahoo.com

Sara Mcconville said...

Following Sweet Tea on Twitter
@saraanny83
saraanny83 at yahoo.com

Sara Mcconville said...

Following Real Housewife of Singapore via GFC
saraanny83
saraanny83 at yahoo.com

Sara Mcconville said...

Liked Real Housewife of Singapore on Facebook
sara mather mcconville
saraanny83 at yahoo.com

Sara Mcconville said...

Following Real Housewife on Twitter
@saraanny83
saraanny83 at yahoo.com

Sara Mcconville said...

My Favorite rule is #5
saraanny83 at yahoo.com

Sara Mcconville said...

I compare my family to King of Queens except instead of the old man we have a teen girl.
saraanny83 at yahoo.com

Post a Comment

I heart comments & I heart you! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.